7.26.2011

A Dining Room to Live in !!

Hi all…

Had the funnest clients, Heather and Robbie Mansson,  come to me wanting help with their dining room.  Cutest couple with stair step babies.  I love this family and was thrilled to help come up with a concept for their dining that turned it from bland to comfortable, eclectic, and a room to do more than just have a meal.  My goal was to bring the colors of their bungalow into the room with a good mix of vintage, new, colorful, full of different textures, patterns and finishes.  With three kids I was trying to keep it casual, not stuffy and mix all the family pictures and pieces that were special to them.  Check out the before…


My plan was to actually flip the colors and add depth to them.. The blue was brought down to the walls in a deeper hue with the taupe on the ceiling.  These colors were already in the room on the chair seats, which we didn’t want to change, but weren’t really popping.  Another problem was all that great vintage furniture was getting lost in the wall color.  I choose a deep blue, Ben Moore #711 and used the same color 3 shades darker and in a high gloss.  We then added upholstered chairs in 2 different fabrics for fun and interest.  We added amazing lamps and a soft neutral rug, but with a great pattern. My favorite thing of all has to be the windows.  We took the cornices to the ceiling and added soft fabric romans.  Take a look at the finished product . .



Heather also brought a a collection of family photos to incorporate in the room.  With a little photo shop help and some new frames I created this grouping on the wall mixed with a mirror or two and a little fabric.  Remember to mix your metals, and mix your frame styles.  It all adds to a more interesting wall.


A happy mistake was this “over-exposed” picture I was playing with.  It almost looks like a wonderful pen and ink!


Take a closer look at the details…



When thinking about this room, I drew inspiration for this photo I have had on my big wall in my office for some time.  I love the color first of all but equally love the way it showcases the wood tones in the sideboard, as was the case in this dining room.  Don’t be afraid of strong colors, when mixed with equally saturated colors around the room.


photo thanks to www.cocoandkelley.com

Many thanks to wonderful clients, who enabled me to see my vision through !!

Also finished the final details with another great client, Jodie Pannell.  She came to me with an idea for a wall treatment in her tall living room.. A little nervous about it, but with some nudging on my side and the more than capable abilities of my husband and his paint crew, we re-created from a photo this “shadow tree” wall which extends to the second floor.  Being tone on tone, it wasn’t too crazy, but look at the drama!


Adding a couple of pillows …I can always think of something to add. .


Also finished her powder room off with is beautiful new paper.  Turquoise being her color of choice, and tired of the dark chocolate stripes, we freshened up, changed her sink and lights and found this special mirror.  Powder Rooms are rooms to have fun with, and room everyone can see so they should be special.

Before  …



Thanks too to Miss Jodie, and her stylish self!

- Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment