7.09.2011

Hi everyone…

4th of July - we take off every year and go to one of my favorite places on earth.  Our family has a wacky, little mountain house in the Blue Ridge Mountains built in the 20’s I believe.  A place my grandparents purchased and spent their summers, a place where I remember at 10 producing skits on the front porch with my cousins, swimming in the creek, looking for “flora and fauna”, i.e. moss and bugs, making terrariums, eating too much because food just tasted better up there, napping in the hammock and catching fireflies.  It’s the place I got married (on the newly dug out and now forever know “wedding grass”) and a place I hope my kids and their cousins will love as much as I do.

We got together again this year, a collective group of fellow “OCD” co-horts, my cousins Meredith and Molly, their husbands, kids and grandparents.  Meredith is an amazing photographer, and Molly, who brings perfection and creativity to a new level, as well as raising the laughter decibel. Now it was Molly’s son Law’s birthday and as expected it was perfection, complete with … I like to call it . . ” a look” rather than a “theme.”  Take a look at a perfect little boy party idea complete with making your own boat to sail, nautical food ideas, and just overall cute and fun with a lot of thought put into it  …







I said we like to eat and Meredith, filled with the same Molly gene, created a beautiful french toast breakfast served “french style.” Oui Oui





Photos by Beth Keim





Photo by Meredith Clayton www.meredithclaytonphotography.com

In my search for patriotic color inspiration I came across this beautiful image of our US Flag,  in black and white.  It actually made more of an impact to me than the red/white and blue. It’s a strong image which actually sent me in a new direction …  clean, graphic black and white.  While I have always love the idea of a black and white room  I do hear people say “it needs color,” but to me.. black and white are colors and make a statement all their own, so in that spirit here a a few ideas to ponder that I love . . mixed with photo images to pull pattern inspiration …



photo by Keroua’s ghost www.flickr.com


Great b/w wall paper from Schumacher, steamer trunk in stainless turned full size dresser and accessory ball in stainless, quilted leather side chair and circle pattern black coffee table all available from www.lucyandcompany.com







photo by Rebecca Plotnick www.etsy.com

Fantastic white leather chair with traditional legs turned chrome!

I love a good chevron pattern and in a strong black my mind immediate goes to Mary McDonald, www.marymcdonald.com and yes I watch Million Dollar Decorators… don’t you !! I love her floor and windows


Photo courtesy of www.bravo.com


photo by Rebecca Plotnick www.etsy.com



Great new b/w bookcases, use one, three or more.  Mix with a rustic table and chrome chandelier with a little blast of red… ok.. something that pop is necessary !



Pillow by Pretty Pillows www.etsy.com Chevron Lamp and fabric and all furnishings www.lucyandcompany.com



See that Chevron in the floor.. and the b/w stripe.. taking Mary McDonald’s lead


Photo courtesy of www.doorsixteen.com and www.carolinegault.com

Tile … I love it, with one of my favorite destinations being Renaissance Tile and Bath here in Charlotte www.renaissancetileandbath.com  Take a look …



All by the amazing Ann Sacks www.annsacks.com






Photo courtesy of www.marieclaire.com



Fabric, rugs and accessories available at www.lucyandcompany.com


Not new, but still loving the Osborne and Little “Walk in the Park” available through www.lucyandcompany.com



photo by Rebecca Plotnick www.etsy.com





photo by Rebecca Plotnick www.etsy.com



Tile by Michael S. Smith Cosmati for Ann Sacks

Enjoy the upcoming lazy days of summer… .

Photo’s below by Ezra Caldwell and Ronald Koster and moi…






- Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment