9.08.2011

"Young and Fresh" . . . install of the week !

Hi Everyone !!!

It’s been a busy 2 weeks.  We did several installs that ranged from a quick facelift, to two brothers and now a young family.  They were all very different yet all the same in the way we tackle them.

When I have a new project, I generally like to hold everything until “install” day.  In doing this we only interrupt your life for a day or two, not to mention the fun factor of coming home to a great reveal !  It gives us the opportunity to show you our entire vision for the room and the look is complete.  It’s totally worth the wait !

Take a look at our latest project …



Loving purple … and yellow … I am, but what I love even more is a blank slate ! This summer the cutest couple and their young baby came to see me about their new home.  New construction and needing everything.

Here’s the before !!!



The best of all was their inspiration photo … check it out.



Running with this image, I decided to go in the yellow, grey and purple direction knowing this young couple would want something fresh and fun to brighten up their new home with a little whimsy and unique style.

 Take a look at my inspiration boards:


I focused on the first floor.  Starting at the front door with a great paisley wall paper when you enter.





We left all the newly painted bright white trim. It was clean and sharp against the grey paisley.  And fortunately the builder lighting wasn’t bad !  The foyer fixture works until it could someday be replaced for something a little more dramatic.  When working on an entire home I like to break it into phases or “layering.”  The initial job is often your biggest investment, but when I plan it out I pull pieces to later add, as the budget allows and tackle other rooms, which have already been thought out.

This chair was a flea market find to mix in, with a new fabric.  A little liquid silver leaf ties in the chandelier.


To the right was their “formal” dining room.  We decided they didn’t need that kind of room and it would be a waste of space, so we went in the direction of a sitting room. Let me introduce the wall paper!!!  I had to do it and I absolutely LOVE it. So unique and fantastic in its colors and unique design which reminded me of their inspiration photo.  I also did not do a traditional layout, wanted to do so something a little quirky and interesting with the chaise, sofa and occasional chair.  It’s a casual, yet fun room that greets you when you enter and sets the tone !





The furniture was a mix of new and vintage finds, revamped and recovered.  I used a lot of texture with the rug, curtains, trim, shell mirror (I still am smelling the glue . . yes had to make myself), a mixture of pillows in all sorts of fabric textures, touch of silver leaf and a lavender HIDE lamp, oh so yummy !  I just love this room.





This trim on the window treatment I love.  It dresses up a beautiful but plain plume linen.  It’s rustic twine speaks to the jute rug and burlap you find in the next room, but the pattern is modern and sharp. The addition of the bamboo blinds also add a rustic layer of texture to tone down the metallics.





I then moved down the hall to the great room, with this inspiration …


The family room, kitchen and dining area all open to each other.  I took the color palette from the front, keeping in mind the kitchen tile, counter and cabinets decided to go in the taupe/grey tones.  I also made it a little less metallic by more dark wood infused.

The den was screaming for a sectional in a neutral and I brought back the punches of purple in the rug, a little in the pillows and art.  The blinds are a natural fiber and same color as the sofa for lightness and texture (you don’t have to be uniform with all your windows!) and we repainted the room as well as the built-ins and mantle from the builder white to a grey/taupe. This helps in visually making the room seem larger !


The room came to life with the accessories.  A well dressed bookcase, art and lighting are key.  On install day Ashley came with me and I let her have fun with the shelves. She did a wonderful job layering all the pieces I found at various places.  Shop the flea, shop the more recognizable chain stores (i.e. West Elm as great for the tall vases on the mantle and the uniform frames)



The large table was needed being that we used our dining room for a sitting room, but the bench was a way to add fabric and color as well as keeping the “cluttered” look of too many chairs at bay.

The yellow stripes add a little splash while defining the dining area.


Loving the counter stools !  The burlap top with old nail heads is seen in the front room, the color lightens a dark island and while the black legs blend in the beautiful carved and turned shape adds that layer of unique that a straight leg would not !




I got lucky with this occasional pillow on the yellow chair.  It toned down the yellow and tied back to the brown and white graphic Schumacher fabric I used on the sofa pillows.




A little banana for whimsey.


Take a closer look at the shelves.  First they were painted 2 shades darker than the wall to blend in and not seem so “builder new.”  This also lets your treasures stand out. We turned the books around to keep it clean in color.  Added a few vintage pieces, mixed with a few new pieces.  I like to keep my photos uniform.. all color or all black and white.


I would like to thank my clients Jess and Glenn for their enthusiasm and trust ! They were great to work with.  I also want to thank my new Ashley for her help in installing and great photography skills.

http://www.ashleydelapp.com/

So if you are loving the purple and yellow combination . . do it in splashes, keep the all over bright purple paint for your daughters room, or maybe a bathroom. Here are a few images I found in my searching for inspiration and my  tribute to the fabulous purple and yellow !


A few fabrics and finds available at www.lucyandcompany.com if you are a purple and yellow lover . .












A pale lavender wall color is one thing in a large room, but a deeper tone - I like to just dab it in.  Perfect example … Take a look at this beautiful bedroom compliments of www.cocokelley.blogspot.com.  The deeper purple was isolated to the high ceiling, the walls, trim, headboard, drapes all in the same light tone, which, while lavender reads monochromatic and soothing - not jarring !


Grey is a great neutral when working with both yellow and purple !



Kid’s Rooms are a whole different story …  amp it up.  I always like a lot of white when using these saturated colors.  I dug back in my pictures to find some past Lucy and Company (www.lucyandcompany.com) purple inspired rooms and a few images I found which may inspire you !Compliments of www.basedecor.com and www.lucyandcompany.com circa 2007


Photo taken by Ashley Goodwin (www.ashleygoodwin.com)


Photo taken by Ashley Goodwin (www.ashleygoodwin.com)


Photo taken by Beth Keim


Photo taken by Ashley Goodwin (www.ashleygoodwin.com)


Photo taken by Beth Keim

Happy Color !

- Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment