12.21.2011

On the Eight Day of Christmas . . .


my true love gave to me eight maids a milking

seven swans a swimming in a sea of water inspired design
six geese a laying at the lake house
five Golden Rings
four Calling Birds
three French Hens
two Turtle Dove
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Happy Wednesday . . . 

I love milk glass, it never goes out of style ! Whether it be a dish, vase, coffee cup or chandelier.  The look is pure, and can be read soft or striking, depending on it's use.






Milk Glass, to me, is a classic.  It's white, it matches everything, you never tire of it.  It has been in production since the mid-1800's, but produced in large numbers in the 1980's.  While it may be hard to look at milk glass without thinking of your grandmother who collected it, and try looking at it without seeing the tacky knock offs the florist have used in the past and see the beauty of it simplicity.   Try seeing it displayed with a stunning background, it can look very amazing!

I would jump at the chance to display a collection of milk glass in this Dorothy Draper inspired Console.




Most well known milk glass was produced by Fenton Art Glass Company in Williamstown, WV.  Frank Fenton was the designer and decorator.  The designs made there were heavily influenced by two other glass companies, Tiffany and Steuben.  Milk glass is an opaque or translucent milky white (or colored) glass, blown or pressed into a variety of shapes.

So milk glass got me a thinking . . . what's more stunning than pure white?

Take a look at this beauty . . . 


Scared of an all white bedroom . .  me, not so much . . . I could turn it all off for hours in this.


I love decorating in white, though I rarely can.  I get the "I want color" but white is a color I say!  It's a clean, "stress-free" color.  I have a white desk, and I like that all my pictures, fabrics and swatches all look so sharp on my white desk. 

Sure you need to call a good "fiber services" company to treat everything, but who cares, so pretty !

Take a look at a few of my favorites.


design by Jarlath Mellett, images complements of Lonny Magazine


design by Lisa Sherry complements of Lonny Magazine



an art installation perhaps !


I love the all of this, the simple shaved wood circles on the wall, and this yummiest of coverlets.  Makes you want to learn how to knit . . and if so order your yarn at this great site . . 


or how about this headboard stunner !


Now the industrial loft look is my look of choice these days for the teen girl's I work with.  Clean white with pops of colors !  But good ole black and white is amazing for the older crowd.



My most recent living room installation !  Still loving !


design by lucy and company

in closing remember the words of Dorothy Draper . . . an icon of a designer who can do it all !!!




- Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment