12.19.2011

On the Seventh Day of Christmas





my true love gave to me seven swans a swimming in a sea of water inspired design

six geese a laying at the lake house

five Golden Rings
four Calling Birds
three French Hens
two Turtle Dove
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Hey "12 Day" Readers . . 

Water inspired design.  blues, turquoise, motion, restful, calming, tranquil.  All this comes to mind.  My first thought . . . the art of  Japan's best known artist Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849) and his best known image The Great Wave.  I love this image, and as my great-aunt Netsy Scott use to say "every room needs a touch of Asia and a touch of black."  She was amazing  "the grand old dame of the interior design business" as quoted by Orlando Sentinel.


This image brings to mind a wall treatment (a digital print) I have used in the past . . .



This paper is from Flavor Paper (www.flavorpaper.com) a truly inspiring company in Brooklyn, NY.  Working with everyone from A Listers (Hilton, Nordstrom, Jonathan Adler, Jessica Alba, W, the list goes on) to DIY'ers.  Extremely creative, unique and yes they have scratch and sniff paper ! 

One of my favorite "sea and sand" inspired room, was that created by Amy Lau for the Kips Bay Designer House NYC in 2007.  I "ran away from home" that weekend and it was one of my favorite sites of the trip. A 500 sq foot top floor informal, relaxing lounge with a "breezy Big Sur vibe."  I spent a good amount of time up there staring at the walls trying to figure out just how they created that amazing texture . . . Take a look at the walls and colors . . . 





A few of the details . . . 


Loving Amy's fabrics as well, very sea inspired in their colors and movement . . give us a call at www.lucyandcompany.com and they can be yours!


or how about a few occasional side stoops !



I also love the idea of textured walls in shades of calming whites.


This was taken at the W in NYC Time Square, the Blue Fin Restaurant, love the walls.


How about some inspiration from the rooms of Diamond Baratta Design (www.diamondbarattadesign.com)
I have always loved this kitchen with it's crisp blues and whites . . maybe you saw in in House Beautiful.


Take a look at some other works from William Diamond and Anthony Baratta of NYC






ok Ashley is jumping in on my post here. . .  so to see how differently we both looked at "Swan's a Swimming" . . . let's combine the two . . 

I am loving this all white "sea inspired," but check out the Juju hat on the wall.  I will use it someday !



she loves it too apparently, and for this post she took the "swans" in a more literal direction . .




1.  'swan lake' wallpaper by nina campbell for osborne and little
2.  vintage arne jacobson swan chair
3.  juju hat from authenticafrica.com
4.  cute tee for the kiddos from tiny modernist



or a swan inspired mobile for a child's room



or my favorite, a funky white wreath




So whether it be swans or sea . . . 

Chow, from Natalie, Ashley and me !


- Beth



No comments:

Post a Comment