10.29.2012

Install of the Day . . Art Meet Design

Hey There . . .

A little while back Mekenzie posted beautiful images from  Hidell Brooks Gallery, the owners and some of their featured artists, it's still one of my favorite galleries in town.  Since then Rebecca Brooks has become one of my favorite friends.  I started working on her bungalow in Chantilly with the intention of adding a little wall paper and a tweak here and there - I have to say it grew a bit as did our friendship in the process, both of which has made me very happy.

A bungalow, that it is, full of character and showcasing her two of her loves - amazing art and a big dog named Dixie!  So how do you fill every corner with art and mix that with great design touches?  I am here to say it can be done and it was time.  The beige walls and murky colors didn't match her personality and wasn't doing the art any favors.

It was my job to bring in color and pattern that wouldn't fight  the beauty hanging on it and have fun in the process, we did both.  Everything I did started around a rug I spotted in the Dining Room . . . I loved it and especially loved the colors.



Luckily she had some great furniture throughout the house that we didn't have to replace (except maybe that bed in your master - right Rebecca!  I think I actually said "it's awful"  out loud - which I usually think in my head but try not to let it creep out) .

Neutral creams and dark wood side pieces.  A large piece by Chris Hayman was the focal point of the living room which tied beautifully with the rug in the nearby dining room.  The existing rug and Chris Hayman -  my inspirations -  Let the games begin . . .

Take a look the details of our  (dare I say... ) finished product . . .








It's come a long way from murky . . .





" For months I had been following Beth's blog with Lucy & Co. and couldn't believe her designs.  Week after week she would post her current install and I had the same reaction every time….LOVE IT!!!!

Finally this past July I called Beth up and asked if she would help me "tweak" my house.  Sweet Beth said of course she would help and  would stop by on her way home.  I think she was shell shocked at how beige my entire home was….or should I just be honest and say ugly.  Besides the fabulous art I have, nothing and I mean nothing worked.  The first meeting was hysterical in hindsight.  By the time we got through each room on onto the bedroom  I think she was overwhelmed at what the heck was she going to do.  She hadn't said much until this last room…and with Beth's classic humor, she ran her hand across my dresser like someone does to test for dust….I, being mortified that my house was ugly & dirty said "is it dusty?" and she said "No, it's awful"!!!!  How much more honesty can you get than that!!  

So after the initial walk through her amazing design literally started spinning in her head that night. I had never worked with a designer for myself…. and boy, was I in for a ride!!  Beth really can see the entire job by the end and not the beginning.  Us mortals are totally confused by this entire process and will bug her endlessly about such trivial details like when, how, what color, how many, where etc.  And all along she will patiently say….Just wait, you will see.  Well several months later and a lot of laughing together I saw today what she saw back in July.

In my deranged mind I thought I could stop at some new paint colors and a couple of pillows to liven up my small home.  Well, 12 pillows, 3 lamps, 8 light fixtures, wall paper, curtains,  2 rugs,  2 end tables, a throw and of course some paint…..I have my final "tweaked "home…LOVE IT!!!!"

Thank you Beth!!!!  
(now seriously cut me off)




No comments:

Post a Comment