6.25.2013

Install of the Day !

Hi All . . .

Last week was a full week of installs, 5 to be exact, and I was so appreciate to the girls at the office for finishing the details on Friday so I could run out of town.  First thing Monday I checked on two of  families, the Adam's (yesterday's post) and the Olsen's.  I wanted to add a few accessories.  Both of my clients were having parties and fluffing was necessary!  Holly and Brian Adam's home was an eclectic bungalow in an older neighborhood, the Olsen's home -  in a newer neighborhood.  

This home has huge, tall walls and windows and an open floor plan, very different from yesterday's install.   Their styles are completely different.  My job - first of all - is to understand the personalities of my clients and help them through the process, my job second - is to create a beautiful and family functional space on the budget I am given.  Everyone is different.  While I alway strive to have my clients step out of their comfort zone, it's often a careful proposition. 

Ashley Olsen is a bubbly, energetic, mom of three small children.  She had an empty room that needed everything.  She admitted to me that she had made mistakes on furniture purchases in the past, so she was very careful and wanted to get it right this time.  She admitted she was nervous.  I understand that, her purchases were big, and while I can see the finished product in my head, I understand that others have a harder time doing that so we started with just the big pieces.  I wanted her to be in a comfortable place so adding the details would not seem so overwhelming.  I wanted it to be fun for her, not stressful.  She wanted a very specific look, a casual, tone-on-tone look with a few pops of color. 

Take a look at my inspiration for the room. . .




 I had two, large 100" custom sofas made.  That can cause a little nervousness !  They were not able to see them or even sit on them.  I assured them it would be ok and they would love these pieces.  These sofa's were made the perfect size, in the perfect fabric, kid friendly with their tight backs and bench seats.  The tufted backs added a slight traditional edge, yet the shape of the arm and leg color (a pale grey) made them a little more modern.  These sofas turned out gorgeous and I got a big thank you for that. (Whew!)



For this large room the no. 1 goal for Ashley was plenty of seating for the family.  These sofas comfortable fit 3 and the addition of two chairs gave seating for 8 easily.   The colors Ashley wanted were all neutrals.  I explained to her that texture was in order to complement the rock fireplace and keep it from looking flat.


The rug is a heavy braid of soft grey and tan, with a coffee table of iron and wood.  Both a extremely durable for the kids.


The two chairs are also a neutral with another slight pattern that compliments the sofas and the rug.


Now yesterday I took over a few accessories.  With the rug, sofas, chairs, and coffee table in place I wanted her to see how pillows, bookcase accessories and art is a layering process and adds interest.




I styled the bookcase a bit with some pieces I found in her home and popped in a piece of art for her to get a visual on how color can work and enhance the space.

I think she's in a more comfortable place and adding future details will only continue to personalize the space.  She has a good visual now!  We are looking at foyer wall paper to add more color and pattern, We are looking at other art and lamps and we are pondering removing the doors on the built in on the right for balance with the bookcases.  We have moved into the kitchen and breakfast room with complimentary wall color in cream and ceiling color in pale robin's egg blue.

It's a process and it's fun!


I am off today fluffing and photographing a nursery and tomorrow, the final touches on the first floor of a lake front home - can't wait for that!

Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment