6.27.2013

Install of the Day !

Howdy . . 

Welcome to the Lake, Welcome to Charlotte.

Long distance - no problem .... I starting talking and emailing in April with my favorite Boston clients to decided just what we were using from the old house and the color direction for the new one.  She wanted to let her Boston reds go and bring in the blues which, being on the lake, was the perfect choice - not that I am a theme type person, it just suited the house and her new style.


Long distance isn't impossible, pictures via email were all it took.  She came down before closing and we took a good look at the house with the realtor and I took my measurements.  Knowing the closing was about a month away, my main goal was to do the messy work prior to the moving truck arriving.  We needed to paint, carpet, wall paper and change out the kitchen counter tops.  Mission accomplished.

I love the new color scheme . . Take a look.



Now, I created several design boards to give them both a good visual. They flew down from Boston and met at the studio, we did some minor tweaking to the original design.  He wanted the look to be a bit more traditional so I switched out a few things and added a leather sofa in the family room... I think that leather sofa was the one thing that gave my plan the green light from the more traditional side of the duo.  I love my green chesterfield so much I showed him one in a gorgeous navy leather . . . sold.  (She calls me the husband whisper.. I love that)

This home has a very open floor plan with gorgeous french doors overlooking the lake.  With a floor plan like that a good neutral wall color with accent walls helps your eye wander in a calming way, yet the accent colors give it pop and defines "zones."  I used a pale gray, yet added a navy grass cloth on the one wall at the entry and the most gorgeous painted Ikat wall paper in the dining room, both from Phillip Jeffries.  If you look from board to board you can see the color flow I wanted to accomplish.




We finished up yesterday with a few final details and with Mekenzie in tow we took these shots.




I love this room.  A few things to notice . . . the gorgeous custom cabinets flanking the fireplace.  I had a new vendor of mine, Original Elements, create these tall, detail-abundant beauties to fit perfectly on either side of the stone fireplace.  The outside is a grey wash wood with the interior a dark blue/black.  I shifted the shelves to house a few large, sentimental accessories.  

We also used a large graphic carpet cut to fit the space.  The occasional chairs have a burlap back which take the room down a notch from too formal, and the wood grain coffee table warms up the cool tones.



From the front door you have the dark navy grass cloth on your right and this amazing Ikat grass cloth on your left - stunning !

I incorporated her existing dining table, sideboard and chippendale chairs (though with my new husband-whisper status, I am working now to convince them to paint them a gloss grey or white so we can really see the sideboard and trestle table base.  I want to edge them up a bit!)

The beaded chandelier is amazing with it's rope detail and a somewhat casual table lamp keeps the look less formal.


The next room we tackled was the family room just off the living and dining area.  
I used the same colors with the added pop of kelly green.



With such a gorgeous view of the lake, we just added bamboo blinds and non-functional side panels to soften the window.   New side chairs and that to die for leather sofa made the room.  Both the coffee table and console are a kid-friendly distressed inlay wood and layering your rugs is another trick to add a lot of texture and pattern.


I used the left over navy grass cloth to line the back of her shelves for a lot of great contrast, and Mary McDonald's wide trim from Schumacher had to make a return.  


all photos by mekenzie france


It was such a fun day on the lake with  the team, seeing this plan come together from my long distance conversations and emails is my favorite part.  It can be done, and fairly quickly - generally 6 to 8 weeks!  Great job Mekenzie capturing all the pretty !




Thanks again everyone !

See anything you love . . give me a call or email
www.lucyandcompany.com





No comments:

Post a Comment