3.15.2015

Install of the Day !

Hi There . . .

Scott and Melanie Freeman, has it really been six years ?!  I've worked my way through their home in Charlotte, doing some of my favorite designs over several years.  I have gotten to know their likes and wants pretty well.   When they called about their new place on Bald Head Island I was in.  I broke it to Bree gently.  I had the easy part, designing all the spaces, the logistics of getting it all there was another story.  She's the orchestrating queen.   Bald Head has it's challenges.  All I can say is that I could not have done this project without Bree, Maggie, Mekenzie and the guys from the Webb Company Boone !  It was crazy, fog and all.

So I headed over to the coast last winter, stayed at Lisa Sherry's beautiful digs on the island and took a look at Scott's.  Measured and took a bunch of pictures at every angle.   Was excited to do the design plan for Scott, Mel and their four girls !  Looking to keep the main living spaces light and airy with "bullet proof" finishes and fabrics - yet stylish and unique.  I wanted to have fun with the kid's spaces as this home will be a place their girls will certainly remember growing up.  I definitely had a look and feel in mind.  

Take a look at our 1 day - 8 room, 7 hour install that Mekenzie captured so beautifully.  All this relaxation is available to rent !  (contact www.baldheadislandrentals.com)



The front porch sets the color palette with the greys, blues, whites and tans I chose.


Located on the marsh, the name they chose . . . perfect !!!!


Front the entry foyer, you are greeted with grey beaded board, everywhere.  Scott wasn't a big fan . .  at first.  I was determined to have that glazed wood work look good, painting it would have been a ton of work and a big expense.  I chose blues, whites and a straw color as my color direction and embraced the grey washed walls.


I incorporated seagrass rugs, rope tables and lighting, glass, and baskets.  The home overlooks the marsh and bringing the feel of the reeds and grasses in were important to me.  The beach down the road is so gorgeous and of course the feel of the water and waves needed to be brought in as well.  I asked Keith to create a large piece, wave and water inspired and he nailed it !  It adds the perfect clean, modern punch.  For any potential renters we tried to think of touch and easy finishes, the tough sea grass and glass tops added to the furniture pieces.






The colors and details in this new series of Keith's are perfect.


A little rope chandelier.


As you head up the stairs to the main, open living space,  I created these boards to give Mel and Scott the vision I had for the rooms.



I sent Scott on a mission for the perfect board.  We hung it horizontally on the large, vaulted stairwell wall, visible in the living room.


Take a look at all the details in the open living room and dining area.


Distressed wood, burlap, seagrass, off-whites, beach stripes, beautiful shells and unique occasional pieces.


















We had a custom sofa with chaise made in a Sunbrella fabric - cleanable with bleach and water.  Along with the new sofa, a large chaise in the side window, perfect for lounging.  The seagrass rug anchors the sitting area as well as the dining area, defining each space.  I loved incorporating driftwood, stumps, wood chandeliers and burlap pendants.  Such a comfortable space !


Just off the living space, the double doors open to the largest porch, overlooking the marsh.  This space, just as important as the interior.  I certainly would be spending some quality time with the beautiful view.  I worked on the details to make sure they all flowed from the inside out.  Very proud of Scott for finding some key outdoor pieces !




A stronger dose of color outside for vibrancy.








One of my favorite spots !



Located on the main living floor is the master bedroom.  I wanted a palette of whites and tans.  Calm, soothing, clean and light was the direction I was heading.



Shade of white bedding on an upholstered bed, grey glass lamps and white burlap side tables.







Just off the master is a small side room, a sitting area.  We kept the chairs from the original owner and worked around them.  Blues and greys with cream upholstered ottoman and capiz shell chandelier.  I love my last minute art pieces from artist Kathi Graves (showing at Slate Interiors) !





Back down the stairs, you'll find three bedrooms with their own bathrooms.   One we designated as the girl's bunk room.   Such a light, fun and functional space.  Not a lot of stuff needed.  This room sleeps 8 with all it's daybeds, trundles and a bunk.  It's sleek, and fun in a colorful way.  Scott says he purchased this home because of this room and I can see why.  It's a long space, full of light and big enough for multiple beds.










Just down the hall are two other bedrooms and baths.  The first we chose to create kind of a kid playroom - perfect place to send them when the grown ups want a little kid free fun upstairs !




Kathi Graves artwork really added to this space !  I got lucky finding all these pieces just before we left for the big install.  Love the colors and how they tie it all together !


We kept the daybed from the previous owners as well as the play table, but recovered and painted.  New window seats and pillows, and of course the BHI sign - so fun.



Lastly the fourth bedroom on the first floor.  I loved Lisa Sherry's vintage flag idea from both her home and Luxe Life camp, really wanted to use one.  Thought the black accent wall would really set it all off.  In this room we used the bed, table, lamp and dresser from the previous owners but completely changed the look with all the details.  Keith hand painted our chevron burlap pillows and we mixed in a sandpiper.  This room has a beautiful tone and feel.







This install was definitely one we will be talking about.  We arrived on the island by ferry, the barge with our two truck loads couldn't come across due to weather for another whole other day . . when they did arrive we have just that day to pull this house together !  It was a crazy frenzy but with the four of us, four amazing delivery heros and Scott himself we pulled it off.

Mel and the girl's arrived for the big reveal this weekend.  When she called me  . . . my favorite comment of all . . .

"I hope it continues to rain all day . . so I can stay inside !!!"  




/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\





Happy Sunday !!!