1.14.2018

Schluter, Grout and Inserts

Hi There . . .

I have clients all the time ask me "Will this look be good for resale?  Will I get sick of it?  Is it too trendy?"  My response is generally, "Who cares if you love it."  Here to say if it's classic it will have lasting power and everything at one point or another is "trendy."  I hate that the word has gotten a bad rap.  Trends are the driving force of interior design and the fashion runway.  There are good trends (and definitely bad ones) but take for example gold grout and insets, gained popularity just a few years ago, a trend that I'll say is classic and won't go anywhere, IF done correctly.  

The first time I truly noticed the look was when I read an article about the newly re-opened Anahi Restaurant in Paris.  Designer Maud Bury was genius when, rather than pulling out the old cracked tile, added gold leaf to the grout lines.. absolute genius.  Isn't this why we love Paris so much.  Respect for age.  It's a look I absolutely love and why I will always live and work in an old space if at all possible.  



On one trip to NYC I took this picture down in the subway and vow to recreate the look somewhere, someday.  How divine, think I'll add a little of that gold leaf. 


The gold grout is something though that can turn tacky in a heartbeat so careful !!!  Here's an example of gold grout goodness . . Keep this technique for the wet bar or a very unique small space.




Now there is a huge difference between gold grout and a gold inset (or expansion) The gold inset can really define a space and add a little something-something.  Also called Schluter, it's a thin, usually metal strip added to the corners, or grout lines between tile.  I created this pattern a few years ago on my fireplace and incorporated thin brass schluter strips.  I am sure I got the inspiration from the genius of Roman and Williams, but can't remember.... I adore anything they do.  Beware though... your tile installer sometimes isn't a designer and may not use it in the prettiest of ways... so be careful there.  I turned my back for a second once and they ran a silver schluter up the edges of a backsplash and I had to have them rip it out... yikes..  it's was bad.

 photo by mekenzie loli

 photo by mekenzie loli


Here's a close up so you get what schluter is . . .


This detail can be used much more easily then the gold grout.  On floors, walls, back splash and bathrooms.







Let's talk tile - specifically mosaic.  The king being New Ravenna.  Their collections are exquisite.  One of my favorites . . . Indus.  Their metallic collection has some amazing options with touches of brass and silver...  Wow.










Images from New Ravenna's website.