1.02.2019

Spotlight - The Cotton House

Hi !

Barcelona, that's Barcelona, Spain... It's always been on my list of must sees.  So on this day, the last of a few days off over the holiday (where client's are still traveling, vendors are closed and trucking companies aren't answering the phone) I am investigating.  I have just two more days of laying low, playing around and hanging out with my .. not home very often... first kid, Lucy.  Why Barcelona?  Well, Lucy will be spending a month in this gorgeous country come May thanks to her Spanish class.  Why not take the opportunity to crash for a day or two and bring the other two, Keith and Kate along for the ride.  She'll be in Alicante, down the coast so I am busy pondering all our options for a trip.

I am an admitted hotel snob.  Always searching for somewhere amazing and came across the Cotton House.  Wow.  Luckily it's part of  Marriott Autograph Collection and American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts both of which I have been stashing points for since our last big Europe trip when I went the same route and cashed in points for a trip to London & Paris (check out here) and then Italy (here).  I have this grand plan of spreading out big trips 2 years apart.  2015 London/Paris .. rebuild points.  2017 Italy (check out here)... rebuild points.  It's time, I miss traveling and showing the girl's as much as I can.  2019 I am thinking Spain (with a quick trip to Ireland).

Look at this place.  It has everything I want in a hotel.  Centrally located downtown and complete eye candy.  As a designer I am digging every single detail, I can't help it.  The hotel is just as important to me as the city.  AD featured this property here, and it really called my name.

Wander through with me . . . .



The thing is this... I am constantly on the design inspiration hunt and traveling is where I find it.  I love the layers in these spaces as well as the neutrals in combination.  What about that antique mirror wall and simple sofa and chairs, all classics.  The two-tone marble entry floor greats you and definitely sets the tone.  I see a mixture of modern pieces with classic design which is my favorite style and what I aim for.  Spanish designer Lazaro Rosa-Violan paid such attention to every detail.




Here's a little bit of their history from their site.
The Cotton House Hotel stands imposingly on the site of the former headquarters of the Cotton Textile Foundation “Fundación Textil Algodonera”, an emblematic 19th-century building in the neoclassical style which is a landmark in the city of Barcelona. Built on the orders of a family of the Catalan bourgeoisie when the textile industry was at its height, it was sold in the middle of the 20th Century to the Cotton Producers Guild which established its headquarters there with the aim of housing the highest possible number of cotton-producing bodies and services: the idea was to create a genuine Cotton House Hotel.
Finally, at the initiative of a group of hotel promoters in Barcelona, the building commenced an intense refurbishment process which culminated in January 2015 to give the beautiful Cotton House Hotel. The refurbishment project has taken great care to maintain and recover all the original elements of the building. Acclaimed interior designer Lázaro Rosa-Violán was commissioned with the project and has done a marvellous job, reflecting a contemporary and sophisticated style which at the same time incorporates all the functionalities needed to assure the luxury level of service and comfort that our guests deserve.
The original elements of the building have been conserved, such as the imposing marble staircase, delicate parquet and boiserie embellishing ceilings, floors and walls in some of the rooms. Also the famous spiral staircase built in 1957, the main feature of which is that it is not supported on the floor below, but is suspended from the metal frame of the upper floor, to give a light and airy aspect. At the same time, all the facilities of the building have been completely replaced, resulting in a distinguished setting full of history, yet modern and comfortable at the same time.



Gold leaf detail and striking lighting.   I love depth and layers and it's always the goal to create that along with a little old and a little new.


Floors and ceilings are your 4th and 5th walls and these are amazing.  The rich patterns are complimentary in tones and colors but add such interest, and I have always loved a touch of red.

Enjoy and hit their site, maybe I'll see you there !











 












Let the plans begin !