1.01.2013

Install of the Day !

Hey there . . .

Make a change . . there's no better time than the first day of the New Year.  Candace Stroud wanted that and I wanted to help . .  This past week I finished up my install for her and husband Kirk,  just in time for a little holiday get-together they were planning. We were all thrilled with the finished product!

These two came to me not too long ago wanting their family room to have a little more style.  Candace admitted that she began shopping and buying things for their new house, but as a whole, it never came together.  I hear that a lot.  So people, save yourself the time and aggravation and just call someone that does that for a living - it will save you a lot of wasted time and money !  The key though.. find someone you jive with, "gets" what you want but not afraid to push you in another direction, you might be happily surprised at new ideas and a new direction.

They aren't afraid of color, that's for sure.  Located in North Davidson or NoDa for the locals, their craftsman style home is bright and airy with great architectural detail.  It stands out on the block with its fun and vibrant two-tone pumpkin and yellow color combination.   A house like this needs to be just as fun on the inside for these two and their young son Price.


Here was my dilemma with their family room.  Right off the bat, the color was too dark.  I wanted a light accent wall with texture.  I convinced Kirk to take out the bookcase and center the TV.  This wall was visible from all areas of the house and it was way awkward, dark and dull.


The new look is clean, brighter and a lot more soothing!


Now Kirk is a man that knows what he wants and not afraid to tell ya (and Candace, we both know is a woman that quietly gets what she wants in the end).  Of the thousands of rugs, Kirk chose this one and it was my job to then work around it.  With a pattern and color palate this intense, keeping the walls light and simple was the way I wanted to go.  I must admit, I wasn't crazy about it at first, but it looks amazing with everything we used around it, and I was really happy in the end!  We then added a gorgeous new and large, leather sectional, popped with pillows to pull in the rug colors.  Their existing chairs, once brown, are now a bright splash of green.  The sofa is big, a focal point and a heavy beast we hoisted up over the 10 foot outside banister and through the french doors - I wish I had had my video camera that day !


The window fabric really made me happy.  It was the perfect color combination, whimsical and artistic and softened that large sectional.


Take a look at the detail in the accent wall paper, subtle, yet added interest to the cream walls. 

I also added a nice 36" round ottoman.  I chose a green hide to bring in more texture and interest.

The family room is now a bright and happy room, all pulled together and comfortable.  We have now moved on to their dining room by adding another fun fabric on the windows pulling in similar colors.  The pattern speaks back to the family room continuing to add continuity.  The plan includes  a new rug and art, then we tackle a small foyer which will create the mood for both rooms !

all above pictures by Beth Keim

The breakfast nook is screaming for a smaller round table . .  Kirk - take note, Candace really loves it!
I created a design board for a visual, it always helps in seeing what I have in mind !!  Mekenzie spent an afternoon with the family taking some new photos for the new space.  Framing a grouping in the nook will update and add another splash of color with something personal.



Take a closer look at this gorgeous table . . . it's heavy as lead with it's iron base and stone top.


Thanks so much to the Stroud's - it has been a fun project and I have enjoyed getting to know you all.  and Kirk . .  you are a charmer !

family shots by Mekenzie France