7.19.2013

The Wynwood Walls

Hi . . 

Ever heard of the Wynwood Walls in Miami?  I recognized the name, but it was simply because I heard David Bromstad refer to it on this show "Color Splash."  His studio is in the area and being in Miami last week, I wondered what it was all about, so I headed over there . . . 

Um . .  Street Art - Everywhere.  Wall after wall . . . after wall.  I was amazed, absolutely amazed.  The detail, the intricacy, the size, the colors.  I wandered for a good 2 hours, and after speaking with Gregg Shienbaum, a gallery owner in the hood, realized I had timed it perfectly.  In a few short hours the entire district would be hosting a street party with some 3,000 odd party and art lovers.  With the streets virtually empty, while I was there, I was able to capture some great images (crowd free). 

The Wynwood Walls has brought the world's greatest artists working in the graffiti and street art genre together in Miami.  The warehouse district needed a transformation and back in 2009 a renowned community revitalizor named Tony Goldman took on the project to showcase these giant "canvases."  Starting with the 25th - 26th Street complex of six separate buildings, his goal was to create a center where people could gravitate to and explore, all to develop the area's pedestrian potential. 

He believes this form of art is under appreciated and not respected historically.  He wanted to give the movement more respect and attention, it captured mine . . .

Murals by renowned street artists are displayed in this exterior gallery for all to enjoy, as well as down every street.  It was a fun afternoon and I feel I had the streets all to myself!  While my knowledge is limited, my appreciation for the art is big. 

Take a look at a few of my favorites . . . (and while I wish I could credit all the artists, their names I don't know . . if you are reading and do - please let me know !)

Artist:   Nunca

Artist:  Ahol Sniffs Glue on the right


















Artist:  Ryan McGinness

Artist:  Os Gemeos


I wandered into Gregg Shienbaum Fine Art and spent some time with the owner.   He educated me a bit on the neighborhood, the artists and the history . . . it was more than insightful and I appreciated it, thanks Gregg !

His beautiful gallery is currently showing Urban/Street Artists including Ahol Sniffs Glue (Miami)  Stink Fish (Bogota Colombia) , 2Alas (Miami) and Speedy Graphito (Paris, France).

Take a look at his great space and a few of my favorite pieces . .





So of course I had to head over to the abandon RC Cola building Gregg spoke of and then needed to see the iconic "boom box" wall . . .




My last stop was the designated "wall" area.  I was able to wander in and really take my time (in a few hours I probably couldn't have even gotten in there . .  so great timing !)  I saw a current showing of Peter Tunney's work.  Loved it . . .




Oh, and David's Studio . . . happened to pass it on my way out . .  funny.


Great last day in Miami . . .