11.16.2013

A Whole House . . . A Whole Design Part One.

Hey There . . .

It's been two weeks and that's so not like me.  My blog is my journal.   I love coming home, clearing my head and creating a post about something that has caught my eye, something new in design, inspiration I found, or a recent install that Mekenzie just shot for me.  For the past two weeks I have been sidetracked with getting ready for five upcoming, pre-Thanksgiving installations and three new projects in the works.  Mekenzie and I have also been working on the re-design of our website and I have been overwhelming my new assistant, Maggie, with the endless details of the current jobs we are tackling.  My hat is off to Bree for being in coordinating overdrive.  The down time I enjoy after dinner to post something fun has been substituted with getting ready for the next day . . .  No time!   Have you ever just wanted time to stand still for a week so you can catch up !   So on this rainy, dark Saturday, I thought I'd write a post or two about the new projects I am working on, a preview of the installs upcoming and the thoughts I am having about the new look for our studio, which I cannot wait for.

One of the new projects is a first floor in need of everything.  This new project is for a client who's inspiration photos included sophisticated whites and creams with a touch of glamor and a dash of mountain chic all in one...   Her new home is big and "builder beige" and we are working together to give it personality, style and comforted.  I started with this combination of wallpapers, fabrics and rugs  to set the tone.  I needed a plan for 5 areas of her first floor...


I tackled the main living space first, painting the walls and trim in a more updated neutral and losing all the tan colors the builder had chosen.  That color is everywhere - has to go.

I want to add lighting in vaulted dead space, something somewhat industrial in material, but elegant in it's shape.  Grass cloth to back the cabinets and a good mix of patterns and textures on the case goods.


Open to the kitchen and breakfast room, the palette stays the same, but more texture and different materials are the name of the game.  A zinc top and grey distressed table, barrel style upholstered chairs and a beaded, yet unfinished wood chandelier which is both casual and a little dressy.   This area combines a two benches and two chairs, all different, yet relating to one another.  This, to me, is much more interesting that six identical chairs.
The foyer I actually worked on after the great room and kitchen... This time the grass cloth is painted with a pattern and I am mixing in a beautiful wall mount console table with two raw jade table lamps.  I love that the rustic elements in this home (with it's stone exterior) are met with the same on the interior yet in a more elegant way.  The looks is polished yet comfortable and not fussy with the fabrics I chose and the natural elements mixed in.

When it came to the Master Bedroom, the look requested was calming and neutral.   I chose to punch it with black as oppose to a pop color.  Now I know black is a color, but you know what I mean... no blue, red, green, orange... just neutrals, blacks, creams and metallic.

The wall paper on the two opposing walls have an organic feel with it's curves and flowers, but the blossoms themselves are boxed and angular.  Symmetry prevails with the matching lamps, tables and end-of-bed ottomans.

A long chaise in the window and console table for books, laptop and one big punch of a lamp creates a reading area I could run off to for an escape.  Those curtains, in person have the most gorgeous horizontal stripe in a velvet over linen.

A sleek console with plenty of storage for both bulky sweaters or just about anything...  and an eclectic collection of black and white photos.


Most excited about this look and all the elements we are pulling together.  Even more excited at the thought of helping with the coordinating Christmas decor I want to include.... stay tuned !