11.17.2013

A Whole House . . . A Whole Design Part Three

Hey . .

The last of three first floors I have been working on will be the first to install, next month. Holly Liakakos and I got together at the end of last week, finalized some of the details and picked the last of our big pieces.  The dining room and family room needed slight tweaking.  We were missing just the right dining table, something special.   I am a huge fan of the unexpected.  We decided on the live edge dining table to mix with the glamor of the other details in the room.  The walls are a slight metallic grass cloth, the windows are a semi-sheer "bubble like" chevron pattern, one entire wall is antique mirror and the rug a silver seagrass.  Can you say texture . . . it's filled with it.  While somewhat monochromatic in color, each piece has a different surface quality.

Take a closer look . . .

These dining tables are amazing.  All custom made to a specific size and can be made with or without an extension leaf.  While we are deciding on the base, metal or Lucite, I cannot wait to receive this conversation piece.  Paired with 10 upholstered  "tub" chairs with a nubby wool on the back and a soft flannel on the front, it will be a dining room they may not want to leave after desert.

Loving the new window treatments, available in two great colors, either of which would work.  We decided on the grey on grey version . . . 



While I was in Hidell Brooks on Friday I had Holly in my mind as well.  I spied this piece by Jacob Cooley in person.  I had seen it on their site when I was designing the room and seeing it in person clenched it for me.  Hung over the mirrored wall would add warmth to the space and add to the serenity I would like to achieve.  Art in every space is so important.


Holly's great room has a 14 foot fake rock fireplace wall.  She has always hated it.  It's coming down.  The new facade we chose on Friday will be perfect.  We were pondering the color and after receiving the samples we picked the perfect one, bottom left.  Love !


Let the demo begin, messy, but will be so worth it.  Keith is working on a large, modern, mixed media piece to bring in color over the fireplace and we picked a new coffee table option.  This piece is perfect to compliment the Oly side table she already has and the new large floor lamps.  An aged gesso with a smooth finish and raised fretwork, it will sit on a new wool and viscose Ikat rug. Two new grey velvet, tight back sofas, and the most comfortable pop chair in peacock leather.






She and I both love the "hunt" so much that we are planning to trip to NYC to find some one-of-a-kind accessories (and who are we kidding . .  we really just want  to run away for a day or two).  We plan on hitting 1st Dibs in the Design Center to find a few truly unique accessories to have when we install.  She has a small curved hallway nook that needs something.  It's screaming for a fun wall paper and this painted grass cloth by one of my favs Celerie Kemble would do the trick.  A piece with a little Greek key I couldn't resist  (right Stavros) and I will be pushing for another mixed media piece of art combining black and white photography of the family (Mekenzie get ready) and oils.  I came across these sconces on 1st Dibs. . . love love... we'll see what we can find. 


Juxtapose is the name of this game, and I cannot wait.  I posted images of the front lounge not to long ago and with the exception of changing out the seagrass rug for Stark's Antilocarpa, it's underway with custom side cabinets backed in a new paper from Zoffany.



And no space is complete without a small touch of animal . . .




. . . and a wet snake !!! You won't be laughing at me when you see the finished product . . . it's killer.
The powder room,  just off the foyer is getting a face lift with horizontal wood planked wainscoting and yes, a little snake above.  We are taking off the sink cabinet doors and replacing them with something a little more modern . . .




The last touch, a bit wall paper in the stairwell, framed out.  



I am just happy Holly lives about 6 minutes from my office . . .