4.10.2016

A Spring Break Adventure

Hello !

I haven't been to Arizona since college.  I had a friend at Arizona State, in Tempe, and visited a million years ago.  It was time for a return.  Now that the kids are older, traveling is so much easier and a lot more fun.  This Spring Break I really wanted to go somewhere and having never seen the Grand Canyon myself, it was high on my list.  I follow this awesome blogger,  Design Love Fest, and about a year ago she mentioned a place in Sedona called El Portal.  Fell in love, so decided to book our week in Arizona for this year.  Totally amazing, and thought I'd share this magical place.




Sedona seemed like the perfect place to stay, not too far from all the places I wanted to venture out to and filled with art inspiration.   It can be a bit touristy, but this small hotel is tucked away from the busy.  I knew when I laid eyes on it I'd picked the perfect spot.  



Amazing and the history behind it even more so.  Owners Connie and Steve Segner first visited in 1980 and were so enchanted, they decided to build at the foothills of these Red Rock mountains. What I love are all the elements of nature and sole of the Southwest here.  Adobe style interior walls 18" thick, filled with antiques true to the style, warm and enveloping.   Open timber ceilings, fireplaces, worn leather and a little Frida Kahlo self portrait greets you in the main lobby.  Most beautiful - the outside courtyard covered in hanging vines and fire pit.  With dogs being welcome you could be sitting by the fire with a glass of wine, a good book and man's best at your feet.  It's magical out there.  This time of year, perfect - 70's during the day and 40's at night for a really good night's sleep.






















Our trip was over Easter and being a planner, I found a restaurant perfect for a little early Easter dinner and booked it.  The Hudson. Not only was the food gorgeous, the view from was amazing !






One our first day out, we ventured north to Page, AZ.  About a 2 1/2 drive, but worth every minute.  Gorgeous landscape along the way.  I was on a mission to find Antelope Canyon.  Just east, on Navajo land is slot canyon they say is one of the most photographed spots in the world and I can see why.  It was stunning.  Just remember you can't just pull up and walk around.  A few tour companies have permission by the Navajo Tribe, so book this one.  You will be guided through (a straight walk at the upper canyon, a bit more of a climb on the lower) in groups of about 10.  Photographer's dream.  I wish I had had Mekenzie with me ! 


Day two we headed north again to the Grand Canyon.  Pink Jeep Tours is the way to go.  A group of 10 of us rode up with a great narrative along the way.  I wasn't expecting all the gorgeous colors and how the light hit them, gradating in their intensity.  It's was pretty amazing.




Kate has been working with water colors in her art class and admitted she can't wait to try and paint this gorgeous landscape !


Such a fun family trip.  Stay tuned for a few more pics !