7.14.2016

Bringing Spice to Vanilla

Hi There !

So we had a big, big install this past week, pretty exciting.  In fact, the month of July is a little out of control with vacations and two whole house installs. This project was one of my favorites and I love that my clients just gave me the key and left town.  The big coming home to a full review is always the funnest !  The first day I sat on the one piece of furniture we are keeping in the living room and watch as the house was taken over by 2 electricians, 3 carpet installers, 3 painters, 3 tile installers, and 3 carpenters.  Yep it was a busy day.   Excited for how different this new look will be.   I am working with the most laid back of clients who love different things, the unexpected.   Their style is, I'd say "traveled."  Jeff having lived in Honduras and Florida and Gaby with an Asian heritage hails from the West Coast.  Jeff having designed clothing for the likes of Armani,  they both wanted to add spice to their gorgeous, yet a little vanilla Myer's Park home.  

At our first meeting I noticed a lot of strong art pieces to work around.  These pieces, for me, set the tone of the design I wanted to create for the entire first floor and up into the Master Bedroom.  The request was for big pops of color, but what I chose were big pops of pattern in more neutrals, yet strong colors like blacks, grays, whites, and caramel.


The foyer starts it all.  I immediately added a big dose of wall paper and commissioned Jose Utsey to create a big chandelier that snaked across the foyer ceiling.  I then brought in a seagrass L shaped runner and a David Hick pattern on the actual stairs.. love the crazy combinations.


Gaby's front office, just off the foyer is a deep semigloss gray already which is perfect.  I really can't wait to see this space done and know she will love it.

We kept her chandelier and art, but added a new desk and two very dramatic, tall lamps.


She also had a gorgeous tall black Asian inspired breakfront I loved.


The dining room had a rustic dining table, and upholstered chairs, but I decided to move that table into the breakfast room.  I love this dining room.  I also decided to keep the crystal chandelier, but add a rustic white sideboard, hide rug and new black dining table.


Walking straight forward into the large kitchen and family room is where most of the change occurs.  I added new black, wood grain tile on the fireplace wall and opposite on the backsplash up to the ceiling.  We added two matching sideboards flanking the fireplace, new chairs, rug and coffee table all large in scale to compliment the large art and open kitchen floor plan.


A large sliding door to the back porch with like furniture to create a cohesive feel and perfect for entertaining and enjoying the new pool. The flow from the living space outside will blend so well !





I particularly love the new tile in the kitchen, very dramatic and will help the white,  kitchen cabinets seem less traditional.  We mixed in two red floating shelves over the stove for a pop of color.


Now Jeff's office is the coolest !  To suit his personality and style, I found a few different pieces each with style of their own.  We added floor to ceiling wood paneling in a charcoal finish, even bouncing over the three doors in the room to - it's amazing and Joe and his team did an awesome job.


Another show stopper in the room, a commission piece Lori Love created for us of . . . guess who.  Take one look.  It so captures Mick.   I am always amazed at how she does that in vinyl !!!


Their master bedroom finishes it all off.  Very large and vaulted.  Their existing bed and side tables were keepers, we just pulled in everything else.

A large black chandelier, bedding, lamps and a gorgeous wall paper by York.


Gaby's make up table and mirror needed an update, we pulled in this desk and large round mirror.


My favorite piece in this space, Ron Royal's oversized art.



That's the plan . . stay tuned for the final product!