5.25.2015

Starting a Tradition !

Hey . . .

My kids have always been surrounded by the "business" growing up.  They come to the studio and sort fabrics and walls papers and open boxes.  Lucy, more for the cash, Kate more for the colors and "pretty."  Lucy is extremely diligent and detail oriented in all the computer work, Kate - so much like me, gushing over all the gorgeous things.  I go to NYC every May, it's my tradition.  I go to the ICFF (International Contemporary Furniture Fair), hit the Kips Bay Designer Showhouse, stop at the Design Center and The Whitney or MoMa.  It's a time to re-juice and take a breath from all the big installs that usually hit in the early Spring.  I love seeing all the new intros at Market and finding inspiration at Kips Bay with all the amazing work of industry leaders.

Last year Maggie went with me for the first time and we had a big ole time at The Gramercy Park Hotel. While I usually love this trip to be solo, I enjoy her company and we are alike in many ways. She's learning so much and I love seeing how she's really developing her style.  This year, I brought Kate along for the ride.  Now Kate is only 11 but with her insanely creative eye and art ability, I can only see this becoming a tradition.  She no doubt will start seeing that there's a big world out there.  I can only image how much knowledge she will soak in and if a future in the arts and design calls her she will have already had a years of experience.

We flew up last week and checked into my favorite neighborhood - the Flatiron, this year at the Gansevoort on Park.  One of our very first stops was Studio Four NYC at Union Square.  A textile design studio & showroom to the trade filled with fabrics and papers from around the world along with gorgeous rugs.  A showroom full of gorgeous street light, hardwoods and fabulous fabrics !  I have ordered all sorts of samples to bring something new to the table !!!  Take a peek at what caught my eye.













Loved spending the rest of the afternoon shopping Union Square !

Saturday morning, early, our first stop was ICFF.  One of my favorite shows.  With so much to see in the way of wall papers, lighting, bath, furniture, art and accessories.

Kate felt like a big deal with her first pass . . .


I have heard my "style" always involved layering multiple patterns and textures.  I'd say that's pretty true.  I typically choose a backdrop on the walls for major impact.  Wall paper is huge with me, as is art.  I noticed this  year the "textured" wall treatment popping up in unique and interesting ways.  

I found this new vendor who uses dimensional wall panels together to create heavy texture.
Available in a multitude of colors !




The skull, still big.  This artist, I loved.  Not your grand-ma's cross stitch, and he uses a wax seal to sign his pieces, love that.

How about 3-D wall paper?  This Pratt Graduate designed this conversation paper for sure!  I'd put in a powder room in a heartbeat !


New hardware?  This hand-forged circular door pull would be another touch of original art.  Approx. 9" in diameter.


Need a faucet?  Comes in antique brass, rose gold or safe and sleek chrome.


A little more velvet, this one marbleized.  Yum.


Another wall treatment - felt petals perhaps?


Market never disappoints !