5.04.2015

Style Library . . . Part 2

Hey . .

A lot of my friends ask how I have the time to blog while running a busy firm and being a mom to two teen girls, a 40 year old son. .  sorry husband, and three dogs.  Well, it's just something I love to do.  I find inspiration all over the place and it usually involves research in all sorts of places  that helps me find unique and interest things for my clients (and self) !

While creating a post about one of my favorite vendors, Style Library,  I was reminded of a new introduction to their already gorgeous line up of fabrics and wall coverings.  This collection, Amazilia, has one particular pattern I am incorporating in two new jobs, the hummingbird.




named after the South American Hummingbird, Amazilia.




Hum, hummingbirds.  I have always loved them.  Our mountain house has feeders lining the porch and if you sit still enough, watching them soaring about is a beautiful thing.  This new collection by Harlequin is gorgeous for so many reasons.  Detailed, the look of hand painted, vibrant colors mixed with subtle neutrals.  It can be seen as traditional, yet also modern, depending on what you pair it with.  

I checked out Style Library's blog this morning (here) and learned just a little more.  Louise Collis, an artist from the Harlequin studio has been working with these vibrant patterns for a little over a year having been inspired by tropicals in the fashion world.   Designers in the interior world as well have mixed in larger scale, sultry tones with a tropical, botanical look.  The journey for Louise included a trip to the Kew Gardens studying tropical birds and insects and experimenting with various paint techniques.  I love that !!!

Her technique when developing these prints maximized the detail, and thank goodness !  The patience and time she took in hand painting each one is so apparent.



From inspiration to creation to production . . .


The color and life in these prints can't help to brighten the mood at home !!


/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\


So,  I am working on two new projects, each very different yet each incorporate a humming bird.  I felt it was the perfect choice for my first project.



The family room of my client Susan Cox.  Her home, while smack in Myers Park, Charlotte is off the road, up a steep driveway and tucked behind the trees.  It truly is a "cabin"  with modern lines. and a collected woodsy feel.  

I worked with Susan a while back, hand painting tree branches on the tall walls of  her open concept living room - very subtle and in a taupe on taupe color way.  From the main living space to the dining area we layered more subtle "woodsy" elements yet with a folk art feel, which she loves.  We are now tackling her den.  This small space has a sloped ceiling and only one wall for seating.  Immediately I focused on the Amazilia pattern as an accent paper behind the sofa and up the tall side walls.  It's perfect and tied into the colors in the next rooms.  I then pulled out a deep, kelly green for the sofa with chaise.  All the colors were pulled off an existing rug covered ottoman she loved and wanted to keep.




I love the mix of deep teal and kelly green grass cloth on the back of the bookcases.



/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Project no. 2, the craftsman home of another existing client of mind who loves strong, saturated color.  Each room using the deep reds, oranges, golds & blues.  Her master bedroom was no exception.  Now this may not look "calm" but when I paper just her ceiling and then neutralize all the walls and windows, headboard and bedding in a simple grey two things happen:  The paper ties in the colors of the rest of the home and keeps the master from looking "out of place" with the style of the rest of the house.  Visually I added the color over head and on the floor, as not to overwhelm.





/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Now with humming birds and other woodsy elements on the brain I am working on my family's mountain house giving it's family room an update as well !


The main space has wood beam ceilings and white bead and batten walls.  I found the perfect, long sideboard to house electronics and games.  Having made a new sofa and mixing in pieces to create an updated look - not over the top mountain, but more comfortable and styled.  Can't wait !!



Loving the hummers !!