8.04.2014

Riding A Wave !

Hi.

It's Monday . . . back to work, but had a productive weekend.  Maggie and I finished our Boho-chic install on Saturday, to surprise a client coming home from a summer away.  Mekenzie met us there to shoot (stay tuned).  I also finished the details of my beach inspired boy's room, that was a fun project to create.   Gathered up a few accessories to install today another pre-teen boy's room with an urban - industrial feel (stay tuned).  Very productive, indeed.

So to follow my last post on the beach look I love, thought I'd share my design boards for this new project.  Surfs up, well, the feel of the beach anyway.  

I have a new client who's son is dying for a room that incorporates the beach, his collection of keys and bikes . . hum, fun combo.  I need to come up with something special.   Mom, Jacinda came by the office and the Harlequin paper I recently used caught her eye . . the blue horizontal, gradated one (here).  Wanting to think of something different and original for each client,  I have been working on another look, similar but different (and for a boy this time).

Take a peek at the design I came up with, hoping it incorporated all his wants in a more grown up way, with fun elements that are not typical and won't be found everywhere (that is the goal when using a designer) !



Now this paper is amazing too, yet different.  I see waves, you?  In a watercolor, hand painted, dreamy way !  My plan is to use it on the side wall in the room where there is a shallow nook.

In that nook I want to create a floating distressed leather chaise that completely fills the nook from side to side for a cozy reading area, with a drop pendant overhead.  It's a dead space basically, now it has a purpose.  The walls in the nook and the lower side walls in the room will be covered in this wave like paper.  How colorful and dreamy.  The remaining walls will be a bright white, but pulling elements around the room with equal weight and color will balance the blue accent walls.



The next key element is a new bed, opposite the entry door and another focal point.  To make it a little more beach like and interesting, I want to add rope (attached to ceiling) to give it the look of being suspended.  The beach, as well as the "chaise" in the nook both appear to be hovering a bit above the floor.

I then added two bedside table with a wood and wire cage frame.  Love the symmetry here.  I want to shadowbox frame his collection of keys over top.  His other request - bikes.  I like this beach image incorporating the bike and the beach !  With a beachy vibe in mind, using the distressed wood, rope and a wool, grass cloth area rug will drive home my idea of sand, in a textured way.  The accent pillow and art over the bed carries my blue accent color.




Opposite the bed, and to the right of the entry door, a bookcase in the same distressed wood with a metal edge, a hanging chair (my idea of a beach hammock) and another amazing wall paper piece framed out.  This paper will pop a few additional colors in the space.




Take a close look at this fun beach paper !


And the other side wall isn't neglected either.  A distressed, tall dresser.  This dresser has the look of driftwood, yet incorporates a little red to break up the blues and tan.  Overhead - a suspended surf board.  This space is loaded with visual pieces.  I love it.


Some of the other major elements in this space . . . replacing the carpet with grey washed wood like tile.  Easy to clean - and looks like wood.  I love this element.  Wood rug, with the look of sea grass and bamboo blinds - all beach like, yet easy to maintain and timeless.  The accessories and paper will give the room "youth" while the big elements - bed, floor, carpet and windows are much more grown up to last past the tween years.

These tiles are 6 x 36" long and when staggered look like wood - but easy, easy to install and care for.  They come in several shades.


So bring on the beach inspired vibe !


Cannot wait to see their reaction.