8.24.2014

The Powder Room, Where Drama Should Live !

Hi.

I am all about a crazy powder room.  I just finished and posted about a Matthew Williamson, paper filled install (here) we just completed for the Parkers.  Firm believer in a splashy powder room.  A space all your guests will visit and talk about, if it's interesting and fun !  I am in the process of installing another for a fearless client.  Happy to say she was thrilled with the look I created for her first floor, and as soon as this powder room is done next week, I will post all the pictures we have taken of this first floor (dream job).   Oh . . so back to her powder room.  I cannot wait to see the paper go up next week. When I saw Martyn Lawrence Bullard's marbled paper in the Kips Bay designer house last spring, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind !  It was my first choice for this space in the blue colorway. The powder room, located just off the foyer - like most - needed to tie, color wise to what we had just finished.  Blues, Reds, Teals, Greys.  Like most small powder rooms, it had your typical light fixture over the sink, over the mirror.  Up way too high and average in style.  I got rid of it.  Not wanting to do the typical art-over-potty thing, I added a new sconce in between the sink and potty and then added two square mirrors for a ton of symmetry.  These mirrors are tufted and upholstered in a faux leather so water won't be an issue and add a little softness to what can be such a hard space.  I cannot wait to see it all done (and if this plan of mine even works !)




House Beautiful  spotlighted 60 + Designer Bathrooms (here) and if you hit Pinterest you might get inspired as well . . . take a look at a few of my favorites (with all photographers and designers credited here).  I am finding on thing in common with all the design inspiration I am drawn to.  The under mount, metal leg, vintage inspired sink.  If major storage is not an issue, these sinks are so beautiful and the perfect look for a powder room.




















I love to work on these small spaces.  I'd had fun in the past with these powder rooms below, and hope to keep thinking of new ways to make these frequently visited spots interesting and beautiful.



photos by mekenzie france