4.15.2013

Finally, Finally . . . The Day Has Come...

Hey there. . .

When your job is to provide inspiration, it's vital to be surrounded by color, pattern and images of great works of art and design.  I am a huge coffee table book collector.   After 15 years in the business, I finally have an office.. with a door.  I am so excited.  Having purchased my building a while back and renovating all 4,000 square feet of it .. not once, but about 3 times, the time is finally here -  now that I am surround by the best help I have ever had -  to retreat back to my office for quite, focused design work.  While my team has filled the main space and is so on top of it . . .  I love having a retreat all to my own, away from the ongoing day-to-day business of calls, deliveries, tracking, and general hubbub !  

I wanted to fill the space with everything I love... to excess... why not, right !  It's full of pattern on pattern, color on color, fabrics, wall papers, art, books and an obnoxious amount of furniture crammed in one small space !  

I did an inspiration board for myself... and yep I did change my mind once or twice on the overall colors.  But here's the finished product . . 



What once was a back storage room, now a back retreat.  I chose two papers to begin with.  A Harlequin graphic, yet organic, metallic on one side of the room - with a Phillip Jeffries grasscloth on the other.  I wanted to mix the silvers and golds in an elegant, yet fun way.  The windows were short, small and lacked any molding.  I decided  to add floor to ceiling trim to elongate the look and give them some weight.  I painted all the trim, including the window  a darker grey.  There is nothing I dislike more that long drapes on a short window or drapes that don't hit the floor.  You can mix window styles as well - blinds on the side of the room, drapes on the other.




Take a look at my re-purposed sofa.  This piece lacked all that deep tufting, thanks to my great upholster, it now looks more elegant and rich.  We had the frame painted a cream as well.  I found this soft, yet heavy textured hemp rug . . as apparently there are no grey cows in the world and I couldn't get the hide I wanted . . . funny - huh!  



The didn't stop with an abundance of furniture, a large hand painted coffee table, an old cream rattan chair, an asian inspired chest in a blue/grey, upholstered side chairs and tree stump - painted gold - side table.


Keith painted a Rothko inspired piece for me with touches of gold leaf and kelly green and peach, a combination I have always loved.


A little mid-century inspired bookcase and lamp and plenty of books to inspire.


Plenty of texture and color in the pillows and accessories.



I have been wanting to use Rose Cumming's banana leaf fabric.  I love it so, I filled the windows with large, to the ceiling, panels!


all photos by Mekenzie France


One of my favorite art pieces, and gift from Rebecca Brooks, a Chas Walker combine all my favorite colors and hangs low near more of my favorite things, a Christian Lacroix pop up notebook.


Take a closer look at the amazing pillows.  Thanks Kevin O'Brien, the soft cut velvet in a vibrant green snake skin pattern was hard to resist !




Love the retreat.  Don't forget your work space - you are more apt to be creative and productive in a space that makes you happy !