2.06.2014

Install of the Day !

Hi There . . .

Sharon Freeman.  She's thoughtful, careful, and the sweetest client ever.  She needed some design help. With three rooms lacking everything from furniture, color, window treatments, accessories, and rugs, she needed a plan from the front door forward, everything.  Where to start?  I started with fabrics and she liked the idea of blues.  

I started pulling all sorts of patterns, textures and shades of blue, mixed with neutrals.  Sharon's look tended to lean toward the traditional, in this plan my goal was to mix in some transitional pieces with that look . . .  baby steps!


I think my first round of fabrics were a little too graphic for Sharon, I tweaked a bit and found a few more options . . .



After choosing all the fabrics, it was time to filter in the furniture.  I had a few things to work around, a dining room table with chippendale chairs, and a husband that loved all his wood built-ins in the family room.  I won the built-ins ! Now,  it's always my goal to install everything in one day to give my clients a full room all at once.  This helps in visualizing the reason why I did what I did and chose what I chose.  They see the whole picture and my whole vision, plus it's much for more fun, a big reveal.

The first room we carried in the door on install day was the family room.

We both watched the design boards come to life.





The built ins were stained the color of the beams, they were pretty heavy.  Painting them white along with the wainscoting and walls lifted the entire room.


We did choose to keep the wood beams, doors and windows.  I love the contrast.  A new, large 8 x 10 foot sectional gives everyone a place to sit and watch the TV and or fireplace.  Pulled away from the walls gives you access to the french doors to the porch and allows for a console with back lighting.


A new custom ottoman in leather with this great greek key detail,  and a lighter rug helped in the goal for bright.


above photos by mekenzie france

Part two of install day was the Dining Room.  I added wall paper and new wainscoting from the chair rail down, a new chandelier, curtain panels, upholstered end chairs, a gorgeous sideboard, lamps and art.  Working around her existing table and chairs, I wanted to mix in neutral pieces with pattern and texture keeping it elegant.



Take a look at a few of the dining room details . . .




The front living room, totally empty.  With the family room the center of the home, and the most used with this young family, I wanted a slightly dressier space, yet still casual and comfortable.  Simply divided by a set of pocket doors it was important to me to have the colors work with each other.  I feel like we accomplished that !  Take a look where it started, with the design board.


Light and airy with texture and a good mix of graphic and organic.  We added a blue and white grasscloth above the trim and paired it with these gorgeous floral linen window treatments.  A new chocolate brown sofa and pair of modern wingback chairs.


I found a coffee table at Slate Interiors that was very similar to my big ticket version on the design boards.  This table had a black base, simple adding gold leaf to it changed the entire look and stayed on budget.


A large modern wall unit with silver knobs pulled in the greys from from the dining room and family room and I love the contemporary look.



We introduced gold in the accents, and . .


Keith created the perfect piece for the space . . . love its texture and colors.




Now this space isn't just a big empty room right by the front door !  Much better . . .


Loved helping Sharon create such a bright, yet warm and cozy home, all pulled together !