9.06.2015

Changing Up A First Floor.

Hi There !

Pretty excited about a new project on Queens Road West here in Charlotte.  A first floor major re-do. A whole new look.  Moving from ultra traditional to transitional,  I jumped on the design right away - very excited about it and very into it.   Transitional a.k.a. eclectic is one of my favorite directions to tackle. Being able to mix modern and traditional can be tricky - always a challenge but always looks collected and unique.  I love working in this style.

Last weekend I was all over it.  I started at the front door and worked my way through.  With Bravo's Flipping Out and Jeff Lewis keeping me laughing out loud (and relating) I was in a design mood for sure.    Take a look at the plan and direction I want to head.

The foyer.  I walked in the front door at our first meeting and stepped right onto a gorgeous Stark area rug.  I loved it.  Taupe, dusty coral and cream.  Keeper !  It started my entire color plan.  I added navy to keep it from being too girly and traditional for this couple, and I loved the contrast.


At the end of the long foyer is a bump out room overlooking the back yard.  A black baby grand is in there and it's a beautiful view from the front door.  Just want to change things around it.

With a graphic paper mixed with the traditional rug in the front foyer, I plan to paper the back walls with a cream suede.  Yum.  A custom rug is in order as the room is almost a perfect square.  Talking with Ali Nikrooz at Couture Knots to get us a sample of this gorgeous Florence Broadhurst rug.  I feel like the organic feel of it mixed with the graphic paper is the perfect choice.  We have another Stark selection as a back up, both with movement and softness - we'll see which our client reacts to more.

I also want to add a large modern art piece.  This one, is a blown up version of a piece by my husband, Keith.    He's working on a new series that is just gorgeous - hoping my client loves as much as I do.


Another artist whose work I want to look into for this project is Indrani Nayar-Gail, showing at Sozo Gallery.  Here's a smaller version of a piece that I feel would be perfect.  Always up to my clients when it comes to art, plan on spending a day art shopping !!



An eye popping mirror and the navy lamp all over top a bone inlay chest, two of my favorite pieces by Ashley Childers, owner of Emporium Home.


I think my favorite element in this area are the upholstered navy doors.   I want to do replace the existing doors with these navy flat panels with a gold nail head pattern.  I fell in love with the ones I did on the Drendel install (here).  Switching up the design I think I want to make a repeat door appearance.   The pop of a heavier color will add weight to the color palette.


From the entry foyer to the right is the dining room.  Great wall paper already in place - Phillip Jeffries taupe cork with gold underlay.  Keeping the existing Federal Style sideboard, but replacing the rest to get that transitional look.  New round dining table, upholstered chairs, stark rug and simple clean window treatments.  


The room currently has a beautiful crystal chandelier.  Thinking on waiting to see how the room looks as a whole to make the chandelier decision, but have a few options pulled.


The front living room will have the biggest impact and will be the biggest change.  Currently a dark redish - coral with white trim and very traditional fireplace, I want to change all that.  Painting the walls and trim in a light taupe and overlaying a marble tile from the floor to the ceiling at the fireplace.  This couple currently has two Baker chairs and sofa from a previous home.  The sofa is a little too large for the space, so the plan is to replace it with two new matching chairs in a light, textured linen.  Mixing in a modern, gorgeous Oly fixture and pops of navy pillows.




Really excited about bringing Kelly Wearstler in the space with a pair of navy and cream graphic curtain panels.  I always like to incorporate sentimental pieces and this secretary is one of them.  Currently natural cherry, we want to spray lacquer it navy and add a sleek piece of the opposite side in the same color and height.  




Re purposing a beautiful storage piece on the opposing wall flanked with to large abstract navy art pieces continue the mix of modern and traditional.  These two pieces are by Kelly O'Neal and are just what I am going for in this space.





Just off the main living room is a sun room, full of light from the floor to ceiling windows and doors.  The perfect reading room.  I want to paint it all a gloss navy but then filter in light pieces to add the contrast.


A cream writing desk and eye-catching light fixture.


Two new custom bookcases create a gorgeous focal point from the sofa.


There is also a back den in this home.  Recently painted a new coat of grey on the paneling, I am keeping the existing rug but adding a custom sofa with two end chaise lounge chairs.  Matching sconces and cube coffee tables.


Cannot wait to show this couple  the Amanda Tally art piece on hold for us at Hidell Brooks Gallery.  I love this piece and it will have such a striking impact in the space !


The kitchen is perfect the way it is with their choice of charcoal walls and light cabinets so no need to address that, but stepping down into the family room we are changing up most of that.  A long, low chesterfield (as not to block the gorgeous view to the back yard), two new swivel chairs and another Wearstler fabric on the windows.  I cannot wait !  Art for over the mantle . . . I am hoping a piece by Kristin Blakeney - would be perfect.




Stark has introduced a new color to their Antilocarpa line.  This one is perfect.   Touches of grey and a slate blue.  Wall to wall it will be amazing !



A new console for under the TV with a mix of wood, antique mirror and black wire detail.


Maggie pulled a beautiful pillow fabric for an upcoming media room install.  Laying on the work table I totally snagged it.  So gorgeous.


Yummy view through the french doors, not obstructed by curtain panels on this side.



Re purposing an Asian inspired black piece from their upstairs guest room to center on this wall and surround it with more art from Shain Gallery (I hope).  These florals have such a gorgeous color palette and fitting with the view through those french doors.  Artist is Lynn Johnson.  I am so hoping to do a grouping !



Take another look, a close up of Lynn's work . . . gorgeous !!



Such a fun project, happily my client's were on the same page when we met last week and it's all a go!!  Let the orchestrating begin . .  and stay tuned for the big installation this fall.