9.27.2015

Spotlight: Estella Fransbergen

Hey There . . 

Posted recently a Penthouse project (here) I am working on.  I was asked to help detail the entire space with some unique pieces, odd furniture, rugs, and window treatments.  I generally snap up some art pieces I love for my installs but in this case, I am working for an artist !  She has the art covered, but there is one piece both she and I love that we found at Shain Gallery.  It's the work of Estella Fransbergen.   

She celebrates the human form with beautiful clay torsos which to her captures the "essence of the soul."  She uses primitive firing techniques of awdust and Raku bringing her back to to South African roots where she was born and raised.  She explains the clay's beautiful colors are created by the intensity of the fire.  She then "dresses" the naked torso using feathers, branches, leaves and gemstones.  Her sculptures reflect her total life experience, she further explains.  

I love all of these pieces.  Showing at Shain Gallery here in Charlotte, as well as a few others here in the U.S. (here)  Take a look at a few of my favorites !!