12.16.2018

Hoot, Hoot Are You ?

Hi !

I love art, of all kinds, mixed media, photography and textiles.  Collecting pieces over time has been a passion of mine and there is no rhyme or reason to what I like.   Art is something that must "speak" to you and you are the only one that it matters to.  I am often asked to find pieces for my clients.  While I love to do that, it's tough.  What I might find perfect and beautiful my not to them, it's so subjective.  But art (and lighting), in my opinion will make or break a space.

In my house, office and little cabin in the woods,  I collect all sorts of art, one piece I may have found street side for $50, another I fell in love with at a gallery showing and I had to forgo a summer vacation to get it.  Each and every piece a little different.  Photography, en caustic, textiles, pastels, oil, acrylic, a little vinyl (yes as in albums), a framed shopping bag, wood, ink, caulk - you name it.  I still love each and ever piece I have ever acquired.

For a while now I have been obsessed with owls.  My love started when I found this piece in NYC on one of my trips up and had to have it.  It's a piece I love to pause and look at every day in my office.  It's by artist and photographer Shawn Connell (with works available here).

art by Shawn O'Connell

I loved it so much I chose another piece for a project I was working on at the time and it hangs proudly at the top of their stairs !


I find these particular birds so beautiful and images of them have captivated me lately.  Take a look at a few of my favorites.

image by Michael Huntley (here)

image by Vishwa Surya (here

image by David Elliott (here) 

image by Nik Goulthorp (here

image via (here)

image via (here)





Meet Leila Jeffreys, photographer, bird watcher and environmentalist.  Her book,  Bird Love sits beautifully on my coffee table, right on top.  I look at it often.



Read her diary when you have a chance, so many gorgeous images and thoughts (here) as well as news of upcoming exhibitions and shows.  I cannot wait for my next trip to NYC to check out her work in person at Olsen Gruin on Orchard Street (here). 















































Riley No. 2 Eastern Screech Owl 2015
Fine Art Inkjet on cotton rag archival paper
35.8 x 28.3

Beautiful work, and great article in last years Harper's Bazaar (here)


Now meet textiles artist Zaza Merrick (here)

I came across her work recently when shopping one of my all time favorite vendors, John Derian.  Don't get me started on their Manhattan shops on both the East side at 2nd Avenue and Christopher Street on the West side.  I could, and have, spent hours in there.

Back to Zaza... how beautiful are these pieces !



Zaza was originally trained as a jewelry designer but soon found love with textiles when mixed with paint.  Touch and feel is important to her and creating large needlepoint tapestries, is therapeutic !  Soon her textile based illustrations were born.  A self confessed fabric hoarder, gathering fabric palettes for inspiration.  Obsessed, she claims, spending her days, nights and weekends sewing and it's paying off with these beautiful pieces !



check out more of her beautiful work on her instagram page here !


Happy Saturday, and I'll be keeping an ear out for that big owl that lives in the trees in my back yard and will randomly swoop overhead !