7.06.2014

Then and Now . . .

Hi There . . .

It's that time of year, camp time (a.k.a mountain time).  We are taking Kate back for her third year to a place I love and she loves more and more every year.   She's a 4th generation !  Rockbrook hasn't changed much in 93 years.  It's quirky, it's old, it's covered in rhododendron, moss, ferns and wildflowers.  You make things, you sing, you brush the horses, you hike, and make new friends.   What I love the most about just being in our mountains near camp is just surrounding myself with the smells, sounds and lushness of nature, especially after a soft rain (and from the comfort of our porch).  My gypsy side tends to come out in the mountains, maybe because I was a camper in the 70's and I can remember and relate to the look.  As a kid I made jewelry, dream catchers and terrariums.  As a grown up I may still make terrariums, but I go to jewelry shows, and "pin" cool dream catchers."  I was one of those crafty types.  Tried my hand at knitting, but was never very good at that, old sari blankets were much more my speed.

Thought I would take my old memories and show you how I see them now.

via 

In art class from my early days, I learned the technique of silk screening and batik . . These patterns, textures and colors are rich and saturated, yet soft and carefree in their feel.



via

We have all seen that the ombre look has made a pretty big appearance.  I do love the softness of it in fabric and paper.  Every time I look at Romo's new Astratto fabric line  (available at www.lucyandcompany.com)  I feel relaxed, artistic, comfortable.  The saturated colors in these fabrics and the hand painted look remind me so much of those early fabric printing classes !








I've also been drawn to these patterns and colors.  I have incorporated them both in two new designs for two new clients.  Stay tuned for a teenage suite and a family living room !


I love all the new fabrics, ombre, the batik inspired, the hand-dipped, the hand painted.  But finding the old to mix in with the new . . even better.  Here's a peek of an art project I am working on using vintage batik fabrics (stay tuned !)



Terrariums couldn't be any easier to put together, but the most fun part is the stroll in the woods to collect the perfect ferns, moss, rocks and roots.








Heading to NYC anytime soon (I am).  Twig is a shop in Brooklyn devoted completely to this art ! So if you dig twig(s)... add it to you to do list.


What is a "dream catcher?"  It's one of those fascinating traditions of Native Americans.  The traditional dream catcher was intend to protect a sleeping individual from negative dreams (didn't you see Twilight?)  The negative dreams would get caught in the web and expire when the first rays of sun struck them.


via


A new take on a dream catcher . . . inspired jewels . . . 






. . . and no one does it better that Bri at Design Love Fest (and of course photographed beautifully).  Love how it adds texture and color to a wall.  
Not your conventional shape, but how I see it now as a design element!


Kate is notorious for finding leaves, sticks, petals and rock and creating center pieces on our table.  I explained to her she was on the road to being a mandala artist !

These are amazing.  Natural mandalas by Arizona artist Kathy Klein.  A mandala is a circular design symbolizing the notion that life is never ending.  Mandalas are used for meditation purposes and the Hindus were one of the first to use a mandala as a spiritual tool.  From an artistic point of view, I find these pieces beautiful, the designer in me notices the amazing attention to detail.

These pieces are called danmalas ("dan" the giver  "malas" of garland of flowers"), and after each is created and photographed by Klein, she leaves them as a give to whoever discovers them.  Can you imagine wandering in the woods and coming across one of these.  

I just ordered 12 of her photos, size 8 x 8.  Looking forward to framing and grouping on a large wall !



photos by  by Kathy Klein


Sari throw blankets have also made a big come back on my radar.  I have several at home and use them for various things - a splash of color at the foot of the bed, a picnic table cover,  even cut up and used in an art piece.  I have covered pillows, ottomans and chairs for clients.  I just love them.









I always wished I could knit.  I think it came from a brief blip in time living in Ireland, home of the real Aran sweater.   I have a thing for thick knits.



How do I see thick knits now, exactly the same way (Gwyneth makes it look pretty good).

. . . and I love a fat knit on on a bed, chair, or ottoman!



The good stuff always comes back for a visit.

Happy Sunday !